Monday 22 April 2013

I left over N2.8 billion in various accounts - Lulu

Former NFF President Alhaji Sani Lulu Abdullahi at the weekend celebrated his 55th birthday anniversary in Abuja. He used that opportunity to correct certain impression about his tenure as NFF President, and also tried to put some records straight.  He spoke to our correspondent. Excerpts:
Alhaji Sani Lulu


QUESTION: What is your take on recent cries of the NFF on lack of funds that led to the withdrawal of the country from CHAN competition, the first in recent times?
ANSWER: As you know, I spent four years in the NFF based on the mandate of the people, I started on a very sad note, because I am not a revenue generating organization, meeting a debt of over N300 million. When I was forcefully ejected from the office, I left over N2.8 billion in various account. We should also be mindful that in 2010 was a peak for our preparation for both the Nations Cup and World Cup, where N900 million and N500 million was released to us by the government. This shows that the total we got from government as at July was less than N2 billion, for all these various hectic activities, I still did my job, and left as much N2.8 billion in various NFF accounts. I have said it before, and I am still saying it, that as a non revenue generating organization, I was able to keep what is beyond my budgetary provisions. So, it was our passion and our dedication to serve this great country that made us to achieve all these. I still believe all we planned; all campaign promises we gave Nigerian we were able to deliver. I must thank Nigerians for giving us that opportunity. I would not want to compare my executive with that of the present ones, however I would briefly state here that the government being the main sponsor must be appreciated even though the resources were grossly inadequate to execute our programs then, we still manage to carry out all our programs. If I give you a tabular analysis of budgetary proposal all through my period in office, they as follows:
Year
Proposed budget
Approved Budget
% approved
2007
N3.77billion
N675 million
18%
2008
N6.85 billion
N1.97 billion
29%
2009
N6.00 billion
N2.02 billion
34%
2010
N8.25 billion
N2.93 billion
36%
You can see that despite these underfunding, we were able to plan, re-strategize and execute our programs in accordance with our campaign promises and satisfactorily delivered.

Question: President, you said when you came into office, you met a debt of N300 million, does it mean that when you were leaving office, you left a lot of debts that is why the present NFF are crying of money?
Answer: I know that before we were forced out of office, there were no statement of account, but I can say that there are pockets of debts that may not be up to N100 million. All I know is that the N2.8 billion couldn’t have been consumed by what we did. I left that money because it is the World Cup proceeds, the World Cup U-17 hosting proceeds. You know that the N900 million given to me, I left about N400 million from that because we did not get to the finals.

Question: Considering the fact that Nigeria has just won the Africa Cup of Nations, and now the NFF has come to tell the World that they are withdrawing from CHAN, if you are the position, would you have done same?
Answer: I will tell you it is a very difficult answer, but under my regime we were always planning ahead of time. Those who worked with me always know that I will prevail on the secretariat to prepare a one year developmental programs for me, basically the budget would be made as it affects all the programs in the year, and we have to look at where we were going to raise the money. If the money will not be enough, we sit down with all the relevant stakeholders to see where we could raise the money, and moreover re-strategize, re-negotiate, and re- plan. We did it with the U-17 team that won the trophy in Korea. We had no money, with the budget we did in 2006 was N650 million. I went to the National Assembly, I told them that the money was not enough, they told me to lay emphasis on the Super Eagles and forget about all other tournaments, I said no, I don’t know what will give the nation greatness, and I insisted on going ahead with all youth developmental programs. In course of doing this, I look at the budget, what we needed is about N2.2 billion, and we are getting only 18% from government in 2007. All I had to do is sit down with various actors, and negotiate. May his soul rest in perfect peace, Coach Yemi Tella, I told him I am not sure we are too comfortable, I want you to get me players that would understand, and we sat down with them and discuss, they were yelling to go and play without getting any payment, but we made a budget of N100 million, but government gave N20 million advance payment. We went, we won, and the boys were happy and the government honoured and gave them houses. I can tell you that as at the time we won the trophy, the boys were not paid their semi final and finals winning bonuses, but when they came back, they got all the accolades and Nigerians were happy with them. What I am trying to say here is that you don’t really need to with draw from any tournament, if you have it in your program, and you plan all the programs, you must sit down and see where to raise the money. In 2008, we went Nations Cup in Ghana, and there was no money when we qualified for the quarter finals, since it was in my program that I must pay the boys, I have to come down to Nigeria to borrow N40 million from my account, I never told Nigerians, I never complained over it. What I am saying is that whatever you embarked upon, whatever the congress and executive had decided upon, you must ensure that you look for the resources to execute this program. It is a thing of willingness, determination and faith in God to get these things done, and you will never fail because you are doing a genuine program for your country.

Question: There is always in-fighting between the players and coaches, coaches and administrators, where do we draw the line?
Answer: I think it is a very sad situation, and ugly situation. What is very important here is that there must be unity for any group to succeed. The leadership must set the standard, we de-emphasis politicking. The leadership should realize that they came into the position as technocrats, though through a democratic setting, that is why you have emerged to lead Nigeria football. As a player, you were selected because you were presumed to be the best in country, same to the coaches. Everyone is conscious of his strength; and everybody has to be respected for the reasons they were engaged. The leadership must always set the standard to encourage everyone to operate the right way. The major problem is; are we ready to support the leaders, and are the leaders ready to guide us on the right way. If that is done, there would be no problem whatsoever, and Nigeria would be the greatest nation in the world.  

Question: You have maintained that you left a huge amount of money in the NFF coffers, and your predecessors have come out to say that they met an empty treasury, do you have any fact to back up your claims, and why is this issue a re-occurrence in the football house. Because, when you took over, your predecessor made such claims, and you said you met an empty purse. Why is it always so?
Answer: I don’t think you are talking from a statement of facts. Galadinma initiated by saying that he left something in the purse. I felt indicted, and came out to respond to his statement with facts. I came out with bank statements. For that I only came out to clear the air in statement made. I have also come out to make statement of facts, and nobody has come out to refute it. I don’t know if the NFF has come out to dispute that fact. If anyone does that, let them make it public. Nobody will say that the money left in the coffers is amount to court contempt, because what we have in court has to do with Marcopolo buses which the national teams have been using for the past four years, the hotel in Hampshire which is a business and pocket of others. I will not address those issues, but the main issue is what was the funding situation when I left office? I am still waiting for anybody to challenge.

Question: With all these, many Nigerians still believe that your administration was very corrupt. Do you think they have been fair to you, for not have given you enough opportunity to clear your name.
Answer: It is a bit sad, but I don’t want to link it with Nigerians, because I don’t think that Nigerian’s are really aware of what is happening, and I do not believe that having heard what I have said in the past, that Nigerians would come out to say that Sani Lulu was corrupt. People who were using the power of government have given a wrong impression to Nigerians, and I sincerely believe that at the appropriate time God would expose all the individuals. Recently, I spoke to Nigerians through the media, challenging any individual that says that my regime was corrupt to come for a roundtable debate. I am available, I have my facts, I am still insisting that I have done nothing wrong, I am not corrupt, I am challenging anybody to tell me in the whole country an organization that is not a revenue generating one that was funded with less than N2 billion in a year, and he left over N2.8 billion in the same year, and you are accusing him of corruption. Nobody can do it, and I have done it. I am still challenging anybody who is saying that I am corrupt to come up for a debate on corruption.

Question: If you are given another opportunity at the NFF, would you take it considering the way you were removed from office?
Answer: It is a collective effort. God used Nigerians to make me what I am, and I want to believe that God has a reason for what he has done to me, and I am not aggrieved, but I remain grateful to him for whatever thing that must happened, and I want to remain patient. But those who has done me wrong, and deprived Nigerians the opportunity of smooth transition in administration, and using the power of football to develop the country, it is time that would judge them. I am not in a position to say I want to campaign to get back to NFF, because I have not left anything in that office. But I would leave Nigerians to determine that. Left them judge me, let them judge my predecessors, let them judge my successor. It is only God that determines what happens next, so let us wait till then.

Question: It was during your regime that increase in players bonuses came into being, looking back now would you say it was in the right direction, and can you give a complete assessment of Nigeria football currently.
Answer: It is a very sensitive and difficult question to answer. May the soul of our former President Musa Yar'Adua rest in peace, we were really preparing for the 2010 World cup in South Africa when he inaugurated the Presidential Task Force (PTF) to enable us source for the needed funds to prosecute both the Africa Nations Cup in Angola and the World Cup in South Africa. This is because the President and the government attached so much relevance to what were going to do, so he decided to inaugurate that body, and the body initiated the $10,000, though it was against my wish, but since that is what the government wants,  I cannot come against it since I am not totally independent. I doubted the continuity, but what do you do to it.  I had made a budget proposal of N2.5 billion for the World cup and N900 million for the Nations Cup, N900 million was approved for the World cup and N500 million for the Nations Cup. But the PTF that was inaugurated to assist us raise money, did not give us a dime. Instead they are saying we are corrupt. Where is the money that government said you should and raise for a specific purpose. That is the question Nigerians should continue to ask them.
On the second stage of your question, I am still an actor under this circumstance, and it is left for Nigerians to put everyone on scale right from 1945 to weigh what everyone has done to date. I have told Nigerians what I have done, and so was those before me, in my capacity as an actor, I should not criticize anybody nor judge. It is left for Nigerians.

Question: Sir, Is it true that you have anointed a candidate for 2014 NFF election?
Answer: I have not anointed anybody to go to the NFF. I am not a god father at all, I never had a god father to get to the NFF, so I don’t need to anoint anyone for any position, because I don’t know what God has in stock for anyone. When I got to the NFF, God only used Nigerians to get to that position, so, I will never make or create that impression that I can influence anybody getting into the President of Nigeria Football Federation. But let’s pray that the best person emerge for our football.

Question: President, NFF had a rough time in CAN in South Africa 2013 and still went on to win the trophy. Don’t you think they deserve commendation?
Answer: Of course, we have no option than to congratulate Nigerians, the Federal Government, the NFF and the Super Eagles. WE must appreciate God for this special gift. It is almost similar to the 1996 Olympic victory. What is clear to me is that God knows why he chose to give this victory at most needed time for unity.
We experienced similar circumstance at our outing in Ghana 2008. After securing just one point from two matches, the NSC, and majority of passionate Nigerians lost hope in our advancing beyond the first round. We were deserted, but our living God gave us qualification to the next round, and we advanced to the quarter final stage before we were eliminated. I had to borrow money to pay the players allowances, we did not cry out, but instead we managed the situation. That is the price of leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Controversy Over Use of military uniforms by Private Security Guard

The use of replica uniforms of military agencies by some private security guards is generating a lot of controversy among the people. W...