Friday 11 August 2017

El Hadji Diouf: Steven Gerrard never did anything for England

Senegalese legend, El Hadji Diouf who has always had a drawn-out row with former Liverpool team-mates such as Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard said Gerrard was a very good player but never did anything for his country.
According to him, “I have no problem with him. He [Gerrard] is a strong character and I am a strong character. Steve’ G’ was a very good player but never did anything for his country. I am Mr El Hadji Diouf, Mr Senegal but he is Mr Liverpool and Senegal is bigger than Liverpool and he has to know that."
El-Hadji Diouf
Diouf presently works in Senegal as a government goodwill ambassador. He is President Macky Sall's adviser on sport as well as running his own sports newspaper business in Dakar - and is often mobbed by young people when he visits his gym in the city.
"My life is about sport but the government cannot do everything alone, they need help from people like me," Diouf said.
Meanwhile, Diouf, who is a hero in Senegal said he is being mobbed by fans both young and old everywhere he goes.
His countrymen are still grateful for the stellar role he played during the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea. But in England, he is remembered more for his controversial antics than for his football talent.
It is a trait that followed him in the English league clubs he played for - from Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers to Bolton Wanderers, with a spell for Rangers in Scotland as well.
Diouf was aggressive, spat at opponents and confronted match officials as well as opponents.
But now in his retirement, he is telling his story.
"I am a lion, I am a bad loser and it's not wrong to be a bad loser," said Diouf of his often combative mood during his playing days. "I have got character and I want people to respect me."
Diouf, who has moved back to the Senegalese capital Dakar, says he was often misunderstood during his playing days in England.
He said: "I am an easy target. It's easy to talk about El Hadji Diouf and I let them talk but I know in my heart I am a good guy. My family knows, my population knows, my continent knows I am a good guy and that's the best thing. The rest is not my problem."
When asked why, for example, he used to spit at opponents, he said: "Maybe they used to tell me something I didn't want to hear. I did that, I paid and now it's finished."
Courtesy: BBC sports

No comments:

Post a Comment

Controversy Over Use of military uniforms by Private Security Guard

The use of replica uniforms of military agencies by some private security guards is generating a lot of controversy among the people. W...